Saturday 29 June 2013

New books and a tablet

I went shopping Thursday for a new tablet, my old e-book reader/tablet have given up, so I decided it was time to get a new one. I already have an e-book reader but as it's not possible to use it for surfing the web, and as I want to be able to do that as well as reading books and magazines on it (as well as all the other things one can do with a tablet today) I bought a 9,4'' tablet, the screen large enough for reading PDFs and magazines. It's not from one of the major brands, but as far as I can judge it's a good one and suits my needs.

I also bought some books, as well as joined a reading circle in one of our local bookstores. The membership is for 12 months and during that year you can read up to 52 new books, and as most of the new books for the year 2013/2014 won't arrive to the bookshops until September, I can use the summer months to read books that were in the reading circle last year, as well as all the new ones too. The first book I choose was "Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar: 1. Kärleken" (Never dry tears without gloves: 1. Love) by Jonas Gardell. It's a novel about the beginnings of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Sweden, the gay community and how people with HIV/AIDS were treated by the society and health care system during the first years.

I also bought two other books by Jonas Gardell, they are non-fiction, "Om Gud" and "Om Jesus" (About God and About Jesus), a biography about the five daughters of king Gustav Vasa of Sweden, and a book by Torkel Klingberg, "Den översvämmade hjärnan" (The Overflowing Brain) a book about the brain and the working memory in our modern society. The author is a cognitive neuroscientist and as I have studied cognitive science it will be interesting to read that book.

Most books I buy today are non-fiction, when it comes to fiction I mostly buy e-books instead, as they don't need any storage in the physical world, just a few kB on a hard disk drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment